- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cups coconut, divided
- Prepare Filling, and cool.
- Beat butter and 1/4 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add yolks and milk, beating until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended; stir in vanilla. Pour into 2 well-greased 9-inch round cakepans.
- Beat egg whites at medium speed until frothy. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and powdered sugar, beating 3 minutes or until soft peaks form and sugar dissolves. Spread meringue evenly over batter. Sprinkle evenly with coconut.
- Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool 10 minutes on wire racks. Remove from pans, and cool completely.
- Spread Filling over meringue of one layer. Top with other layer, meringue side up.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note