The chicken was very good, I used hot paprika and used black pepper instead of cayenne. I prefer raw avocados to the grilled ones for this recipe. I will make again for my family.
Blackened Chicken and Grilled Avocado Tacos
The avocado will dry slightly in the pan, intensifying its flavor. Choose a ripe but firm avocado so it will hold its shape as it cooks. For a piquant variation, try adding a blend of 1 1/2 teaspoons of Hungarian hot paprika and 1 1/2 teaspoons of smoked Spanish paprika to the spice rub for a more intense flavor.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 423
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 45.2g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 675mg
- Calcium: 158mg
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 ripe peeled avocado, cut into 16 slices
- Cooking spray
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup bottled low-sodium salsa (such as Green Mountain Gringo)
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Combine paprika and next 7 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl. Sprinkle paprika mixture evenly over chicken; let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine juice and avocado in a medium bowl, tossing to coat. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Grill avocado 2 minutes on each side or until well marked; remove from pan.
- Place chicken in pan. Cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Let chicken stand 5 minutes; cut chicken crosswise into (1/4-inch-thick) slices.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Divide the chicken evenly among tortillas; top each with 2 avocado slices, 1/4 cup lettuce, 2 tablespoons salsa, 1 1/2 teaspoons sour cream, and 1 1/2 teaspoons onion.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes