Married to a hunter, we have quail regularly and love this recipe. I actually use a blackberry and hot pepper preserve which adds a little bit of heat.
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 325
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Fat: 15.6g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Protein: 22.4g
- Carbohydrate: 18.3g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
- Iron: 4.7mg
- Sodium: 227mg
- Calcium: 19mg
- 1 cup zinfandel or other fruity dry red wine
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries, crushed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup seedless blackberry jam
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 (4-ounce) semiboneless quail
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 8 minutes). Strain mixture through a sieve over a bowl, reserving wine mixture. Discard solids. Add wine mixture and jam to pan; cook over medium heat 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in butter. Keep warm.
- Sprinkle the quail with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and ground black pepper. Place quail on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Serve with wine sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes