Blackberry-Mascarpone Ice Cream
Mascarpone cheese lends the ice cream rich texture.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup ice cream and about 3 tablespoons blackberries)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 261
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 41.9g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 115mg
- Calcium: 159mg
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 3 1/4 cups fresh blackberries, divided
- Combine milk, 1/2 cup sugar, and next 5 ingredients (through egg) in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring well with a whisk. Heat to 160° or until tiny bubbles form around edge of pan, stirring frequently (do not boil). Remove from heat. Add cheese, stirring until smooth. Cool completely.
- Place 2 cups blackberries and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Strain blackberry mixture through a sieve into a large bowl; discard solids. Cover and chill.
- Pour milk mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. When ice cream is almost set, with machine still running, pour pureed blackberries into the freezer can; process until set. Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze for 1 hour or until firm. Serve with remaining 1 1/4 cups blackberries.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Blackberry-Mascarpone Ice Cream Recipe at a Glance