I first saw this recipe over a year ago and I finally baked it in December. It is one of the best cakes I have ever eaten. The cake was tender, bursting with layers of flavor and has the added texture of the toasted finely chopped pecans. My husband and I both thoroughly enjoyed it as did our guests and I'm going to bake it again this week. (It does taste somewhat like gingerbread, but it isn't nearly that strong.)
Blackberry Jam Cake
Photo: Robbie Caponetto, Iain Bagwell; Styling: Lydia Degaris Pursell
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 45 Minutes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (18-oz.) jar seedless blackberry jam
- 1 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together buttermilk and baking soda.
- 2. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating until light and fluffy and stopping to scrape bowl as needed. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- 3. Stir together flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; gradually add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition, stopping to scrape bowl as needed. Add preserves, and beat at low speed just until blended. Stir in pecans. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 2 hours). Dust cake with powdered sugar just before serving, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts