- 2 (15-ounce) cans blackberries, undrained
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Caramel Cream Frosting
How to Make It
Drain blackberries, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Dredge blackberries in 1/2 cup flour.
Combine butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Combine 1/2 cups flour, cocoa, soda, and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with blackberry juice, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat well after each addition. Stir in blackberries and vanilla.
Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9 - inch round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove layers from pans, and let cool completely. Spread Caramel Cream Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.