I made this buttercream to go on lemon cupcakes and it was absolutely perfect. I did modify the recipe a bit though. Rather than using all the vanilla, I used 3/4 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp lemon extract. I didn't use quite as much powdered sugar as mentioned and also added a few blackberries right before I frosted the cupcakes to have larger chunks in the frosting.
Blackberry Buttercream Frosting
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Rose Nguyen
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-oz.) package plus 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1. Beat first 5 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- 2. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended and smooth after each addition.
- Note: Be sure to wash and thoroughly dry blackberries before adding to frosting.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts