This homey dessert can be made with blueberries or raspberries instead. From Taste of Home Test Kitchen: Greendale, Wisconsin. Editor's Note: If using frozen raspberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter. Recipe published in Complete Guide to Baking.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 cup(s) shortening
- 1 cup(s) sugar, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 2 cup(s) fresh or frozen blackberries
- 2 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup(s) cold butter
- • In a large bowl, cream the shortening and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition.
- • Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Toss the blackberries with lemon juice; sprinkle over batter. In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar and flour; cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over berries.
- • Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 9-12 servings.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note