This cake was delicious...marvelous...this was my first time baking upside down cake,i thought it was difficult, but actually very easy to made... the sourness of the blackberry really compensate the sweetness of the cake...
Blackberry-Apple Upside-Down Cake
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia Pursell
If using frozen berries, add them straight from the freezer so they hold their shape.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 3/4 cup butter, softened and divided
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large Gala apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries*
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a lightly greased 9-inch round cake pan (with sides that are at least 2 inches high) over low heat. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with brown sugar; drizzle honey over brown sugar. Arrange apple slices in concentric circles over brown sugar mixture, overlapping as needed; sprinkle with blackberries.
- 2. Beat granulated sugar and remaining 1/2 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- 3. Stir together flour and baking powder. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Spoon batter over blackberries in pan.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of cake to loosen. Invert cake onto a serving plate, spooning any topping in pan over cake.
- *1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note