This was really great, I made it into more of a crumble than a pie. I also added 1/4 tsp. Almond extract. I put oats, melted butter, and grahm crackers on top.
Blackberry-Apple Pie Filling
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia Degaris Pursell
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
- 3 pounds Granny Smith apples
- 3 pounds Braeburn apples
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (12-oz.) package frozen blackberries (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1. Peel apples, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges; toss with sugar and 1/2 cup flour.
- 2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add apple mixture, and saute 15 to 20 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from heat. Cool completely (about 1 hour).
- 3. Toss frozen blackberries with 1 Tbsp. flour, and stir into apple mixture. Use immediately.
- Try This Twist! Cranberry-Apple Pie Filling: Omit blackberries and 1 Tbsp. flour. Reduce remaining flour from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup. Stir in 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries just before removing apples from heat in Step 2.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This