This pie was absolutely exquisite, although my husband did make a couple of changes to the recipe based on reviews. He used only half the amount of apples and used all braeburns. He still used 12 oz. of blackberries and kept all the other filling measurements the same. The filling was divine! It was not watery at all, and had almost a creamy texture to it as opposed to a store bought apple pie with a gel-like consistency. The cheesy crust accented the filling perfectly. Everyone who tasted the pie could tell that there was something different about it, but they didn't know there was cheese in the crust. My husband used Cabot Seriously Sharp white cheddar cheese. Baking times were exact, and the pie really does look beautiful. He used an extra deep Emile Henry pie pan. Although this pie didn't win the pie contest he entered, I think it should have (and I made the winning pie!)
This apple-and-berry-packed pie is extra-tasty because of the white-Cheddar cheese crust that provides a sigh-worthy companion for the sweet fruit filling.
More From Southern Living
Total: 7 Hours, 40 Minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup ice water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Blackberry-Apple Pie Filling
- 1 tablespoon sparkling sugar
- 1. Stir together flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in cheese. Drizzle 1/2 cup ice water over flour mixture, stirring with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened and dough is crumbly but forms a ball when pressed together, adding more ice water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, if necessary (up to 1/4 cup). Divide dough in half. Place each half on a large piece of plastic wrap. Shape each dough half into a flat disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap, and chill 2 to 24 hours.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. Place 1 dough disk on a lightly floured surface; sprinkle dough lightly with flour. Roll dough to about 1/4-inch thickness. Starting at 1 edge of dough, wrap dough around rolling pin. Place rolling pin over a 9-inch pie plate, and unroll dough over pie plate. Press dough into pie plate; trim off excess crust along edges. Brush edges of crust lightly with egg; reserve remaining egg. Spoon Blackberry-Apple Pie Filling into crust, mounding filling slightly in center.
- 3. Roll remaining dough disk to about 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough into 9 (1-inch-wide) strips. Arrange strips in a lattice design over filling; gently press ends of strips into bottom crust; crimp edge of crust. Brush lattice with reserved egg; sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Place on a baking sheet.
- 4. Bake at 400° on lower oven rack 45 to 50 minutes. Cover loosely with foil to prevent excessive browning, and bake 25 more minutes or until juices are thick and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack 2 hours.
- Try This Twist! Cranberry-Apple Pie: Substitute Cranberry-Apple Pie Filling for Blackberry-Apple Pie Filling. Prepare as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note