please know this person is using your recipe as an auction http://www.listia.com/auction/9483682-black-and-white-angel-food-cake-recipe
Black and White Angel Food Cake
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 210
- Calories from fat: 3%
- Fat: 0.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 47.3g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 111mg
- Calcium: 9mg
- 1 cup cake flour (about 4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa (such as Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons tub light cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon unsweetened dark cocoa (such as Hershey's Special Dark)
- Sliced strawberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 3/4 cup granulated sugar, stirring with a whisk; set aside.
- Place cream of tartar, salt, and egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in juice and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Sift flour mixture over egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time; fold in after each addition.
- Spoon half of batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. Sift 2 tablespoons cocoa over remaining batter; fold in. Spoon cocoa batter evenly over top of vanilla batter; break air pockets by cutting through cocoa layer with a knife. Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert cake onto a plate.
- To prepare glaze, place powdered sugar, cream cheese, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Drizzle half of glaze over cake.
- Add 3/4 teaspoon cocoa to remaining glaze; stir well to combine. Drizzle cocoa glaze over cake. Refrigerate 5 minutes or until glaze is set. Garnish with strawberries, if desired.
Place leftover egg yolks in an airtight container, cover with a thin layer of water, and refrigerate for up to two days; use them to make custards, such as our Cinnamon Crème Anglaise.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts