This recipe is unbelievable good! We used the black rice that was recommended. I had never heard of black rice before and we loved it! The only change I made to the recipe was that I substituted 1/2 tsp. ground savory for the tsp. of cumin as I don't care for cumin. That was great! I also used a little more lime juice and a little less oil. I was concerned that this wouldn't fill me up, but I was wrong! I will be making this again for us, as well as for company. This dish also looks so pretty! Lots of color, and the black rice is so unexpected! Tastes even better than it looks! Enjoy!
Black Rice, Spinach, Salmon, and Mango Salad
There are many types of black rice on the market in a range of textures. Look for a chewy-textured variety, such as Forbidden Rice by Lotus Foods.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 320
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 10.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 46.1g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 361mg
- Calcium: 59mg
- 1 1/2 cups black rice
- Cooking spray
- 1 (8-ounce) salmon fillet (about 1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups diced peeled mango (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- Rinse rice, and drain well. Cook rice in boiling water 35 minutes or until al dente; drain. Cool.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add salmon; cook 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Cool; break into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine juice and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually add oil to juice mixture, stirring constantly. Add rice, mango, tomatoes, onions, pepper, and spinach; toss gently. Place 1 cup rice mixture in each of 6 bowls; top each with 1 ounce salmon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads