This is my new favorite recipe! So yummy! The smokiness of the paprika with the contrast of sweet squash and dressing make it a hit. Also the chewy rice and crunchy seeds and nuts are heaven to the pallet. Go make this now!!!
Black Rice Salad with Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Seeds
Dramatic-looking black rice--which has a mellow, sweet taste--comes from several places in the world, including Thailand and Indonesia. If you can't find it, wild, brown, or red rice would also work (cook according to package directions).
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- Calories: 244
- Calories from fat: 53%
- Protein: 3.8g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 29g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Sodium: 69mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2/3 cup black rice*
- 1 pound butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked Spanish paprika*
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the rice, adjust heat to maintain a lively simmer, and cook until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. Peel and seed squash and cut into 1-in. cubes. In a large bowl, toss squash with paprika, salt, and 1 tbsp. oil. Spread on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, about 40 minutes. Let cool. Spread pecans on another baking sheet and toast until fragrant, stirring once, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 3. Whisk together remaining 2 tbsp. oil, the lemon juice, maple syrup, and pepper in a serving bowl. Toss with reserved rice, roasted squash, green onions, and most of pecans and pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle with remaining pecans and pomegranate seeds.
- *Find black rice and smoked Spanish paprika at Whole Foods Market or other well-stocked grocery stores.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Black Rice Salad with Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Seeds Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes