Black Rice Pudding
Notes: If black rice is unavailable, use all sweet white rice and cook only 10 to 15 minutes. Make pudding up to 1 hour ahead. It thickens as it stands; if desired, stir in a little hot water to thin. Reheat, covered, in a microwave oven. Garnish with mint sprigs if desired.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 213
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Protein: 2.6g
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 10mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 cup sweet (glutinous) black rice
- 3/4 cup sweet (glutinous) white rice
- 1/2 cup chopped palm sugar or firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups bite-size chunks mango or fresh or drained canned litchis
- Coconut ice cream (optional)
- 1. Place black and white rice in a fine strainer and rinse well under cool running water until water runs clear. Place rice in a 2- to 3-quart pan and add 5 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until rice is tender to bite, stirring occasionally, 18 to 20 minutes. If rice begins to stick, stir in a little more water.
- 2. Mix sugar and 1/4 cup hot water. Stir into rice. Add salt to taste.
- 3. Serve the rice pudding warm or at room temperature. Spoon the pudding into stemmed glasses or small bowls. Stir the coconut milk and pour it equally over portions. Top each serving with fruit and a small scoop of coconut ice cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note