Black Pepper-Bacon Biscuits
More From Southern Living
Chill: 10 Minutes
Bake: 15 Minutes
- 1/3 cup cooked and crumbled bacon slices (about 5 slices)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups self-rising soft-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Self-rising soft-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1. Combine bacon and pepper with flour in a large bowl.
- 2. Cut butter with a sharp knife or pastry blender into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Sprinkle butter slices over flour; toss butter with flour mixture. Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until crumbly and mixture resembles small peas. Cover and chill 10 minutes. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- 3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3 or 4 times, gradually adding additional flour as needed. With floured hands, press or pat dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle (about 9 x 5 inches). Sprinkle top of dough with additional flour. Fold dough over onto itself in 3 sections, starting with 1 short end. (Fold dough rectangle as if folding a letter-size piece of paper.) Repeat entire process 2 more times, beginning with pressing into a 3/4-inch-thick dough rectangle (about 9 x 5 inches).
- 4. Press or pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut with a 2-inch round cutter, and place, side by side, on a parchment paper-lined or lightly greased jelly-roll pan. (Dough rounds should touch.)
- 5. Bake at 450° for 13 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; brush with 2 Tbsp. melted butter.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used White Lily Self-Rising Soft Wheat Flour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads