Black Mission Fig and Sweet Onion Port Sauce
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 103
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 1.6g
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 42mg
- Cholesterol: 9.3mg
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups (about one 500-ml. bottle) ruby- or vintage-style port
- About 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (about 7 oz.) dried Black Mission figs, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1. Sauté onion in oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add port, 2 cups chicken broth, the figs, and star anise. Boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by about a third, about 15 minutes. Remove and discard star anise.
- 3. Purée mixture in a blender until smooth. Pour into a saucepan over low heat. Whisk in butter, vinegar, salt to taste, and a generous amount of pepper. If sauce is too thick, thin with a little more chicken broth. Serve hot.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This