- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups (about one 500-ml. bottle) ruby- or vintage-style port
- About 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (about 7 oz.) dried Black Mission figs, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and pepper
- calories 103
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- protein 1.6 g
- fat 3.5 g
- satfat 1.5 g
- carbohydrate 18 g
- fiber 1.8 g
- sodium 42 mg
- cholesterol 9.3 mg
How to Make It
Sauté onion in oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add port, 2 cups chicken broth, the figs, and star anise. Boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by about a third, about 15 minutes. Remove and discard star anise.
Purée mixture in a blender until smooth. Pour into a saucepan over low heat. Whisk in butter, vinegar, salt to taste, and a generous amount of pepper. If sauce is too thick, thin with a little more chicken broth. Serve hot.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.