Black and Gold Soup
Notes: Donna Higgins of Halfway, Oregon, threw this soup together as a "desperation dinner." She used canned black beans and chicken broth from the pantry, and squash from her garden.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 389
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Protein: 38g
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 12g
- Sodium: 794mg
- Cholesterol: 62mg
- 3 1/2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 packages (12 to 14 oz. each) frozen puréed yellow squash
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded skinned cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- About 1/4 cup tequila (optional)
- About 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1. Combine broth and squash in a 4- to 6-quart pan over high heat. Stir frequently until squash is thawed and mixture boils, 15 to 18 minutes.
- 2. Stir in beans, chicken, salsa, and tequila and lemon juice to taste; stir often just until hot, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 3. Ladle into wide bowls. Garnish with cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews