Black Forest Upside-Down Cake
Substitute 1 tablespoon drained cherry juice for kirsch, if desired.
Yield: 12 servings
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 278
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 57g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 198mg
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fiber: 2.0g
- Calcium: 7.9mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 (16 1/2-ounce) cans pitted dark sweet cherries in heavy syrup, drained
- 1 (1 lb., 4.5-ounce) package low-fat fudge brownie mix (such as Betty Crocker Sweet Rewards)
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Place melted butter in pan; stir in kirsch. Combine brown sugar and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over butter mixture. Sprinkle almonds over brown sugar; arrange cherries on top of almonds.
- Combine brownie mix and remaining 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Spoon batter over cherries in prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack. Using a thin spatula or a knife, loosen cake from edge of pan. Place a plate, upside down, on top of pan; invert cake onto plate. Let cool completely.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings