I want to make this cake. Do most grocery stores sell the frozen cherries?
Black Forest Pound Cake
This decadent dessert is an easy, one-pan twist on the traditional layered cake.
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 15 Minutes
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 (1-oz.) bittersweet chocolate baking squares, finely chopped
- Cherry Sauce
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Shaved bittersweet chocolate
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar and 2/3 cup brown sugar, beating until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Beat in 1 tsp. vanilla.
- 2. Whisk together flour and next 3 ingredients. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in chopped chocolate.
- 3. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch round cake pan (with sides that are 3 inches high).
- 4. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack; cool completely (about 1 hour).
- 5. Meanwhile, prepare Cherry Sauce. Place cake on a serving plate or cake stand. Slowly pour Cherry Sauce over cake. Beat heavy cream, 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar, and remaining 1/4 tsp. vanilla at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Dollop whipped cream onto cake, and sprinkle with shaved chocolate.
Settle down with a stout or porter. Both styles will stand up to the rich chocolate cake and fruit.
Try Sue imperial porter, Yazoo Brewing Company (Tennessee) or Happy Ending imperial stout, SweetWater Brewing Company (Georgia)
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note