Black Forest Cherry Cake
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 3/4 cup(s) all purpose flour
- 2 cup(s) sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) cocoa
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk
- 1 cup(s) fat free milk
- 1/4 cup(s) canola oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup(s) Kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 1 can(s) Cherry pie filling
- 16 ounce(s) heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup(s) confectioners sugar
- maraschino cherries, drained for garnish
- milk chocolate curls
- 2 tablespoon(s) Kirsch
- To prepare cake, preheat the oven to 350.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Combine buttermilk, milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to sugar mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed just until well blended (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into 2 (9 inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Sprinkle Kirsch over both cake layers.
- Chill electric beaters and large mixing bowl; beat cream until it thickens slightly, gradually add confectioners sugar and 2 T. Kirsch and beat until thick enough to hold its shape.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave chocolate; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Assemble cake; place one layer on serving plate and spread its top with 1/2 inch thick layer of whipped cream and strew 1/2 the cherries over the cream leaving about 1/2 inch margin around border of cake. with no cherries.
- Set other layer on top of cherries and spread top of cake with remaining cream and cherries.
- Garnish with maraschino cherries and chocolate curls.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psschmidt2 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note