Black Forest Cake
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 428
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Protein: 5.8g
- Fat: 8.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 84g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 263mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 can (1 lb.) drained pitted tart pie cherries in water
- 1/4 cup kirsch
- About 1/4 cup salad oil
- About 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whipped frosting
- 1. In a bowl, combine cherries and kirsch. Let stand at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Oil a metal 8-inch-wide round cake pan. Line pan bottom with waxed paper cut to fit; oil paper. Dust pan with cocoa, shaking out excess.
- 3. In a bowl, mix 2/3 cup cocoa, flour, soda, and salt.
- 4. In another bowl with a mixer, beat to blend sugar, 1/4 cup salad oil, egg whites, vanilla, and 1 cup water. Add flour mixture; stir to mix, then beat until batter is smooth. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- 5. Bake in a 350° oven until cake begins to pull from pan side and springs back when lightly pressed in center, 35 to 40 minutes.
- 6. Let cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Run a thin knife between cake and pan rim, invert cake onto a rack, lift off pan, and gently pull off and discard waxed paper. Let cool about 1 hour. When cake is cool, use a long serrated knife to cut the cake horizontally into 3 equal layers.
- 7. Meanwhile, follow directions for whipped frosting, using 2 large egg whites, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- 8. Drain cherries, pouring kirsch into a small pitcher.
- 9. To assemble cake, place bottom layer on a flat plate, cut side up. Spread cut side with about 1/4 the frosting; dot with 1/2 the cherries. Set center cake layer on frosting; spread with about 1/4 the frosting; dot with remaining cherries. Lay top of cake, cut side down, onto cherries. With a small spatula, swirl remaining frosting over cake. Cut cake into wedges; drizzle each portion with reserved kirsch.
Note: Notes: If desired, mound up to 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate curls on top of the frosted cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This