- 1/2 cup chopped cooked ham
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium-size sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into very thin strips
- 1 medium-size green pepper, seeded and cut into very thin strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 1 (15.8-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
How to Make It
Cook ham, onion, and pepper strips in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Add tomato with liquid and remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let cool.
Spoon mixture into jars. Cover jars with lids and store in refrigerator. Give each jar as a gift with a package of rice.
Note: To serve, remove lid from jar. Microwave uncovered at HIGH 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until throughly heated, stirring after 1 minute. Serve over hot cooked rice.