- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (10-ounce) bag prewashed mustard greens
- calories 235
- caloriesfromfat 19 %
- fat 5 g
- satfat 1.1 g
- monofat 2.4 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 15.5 g
- carbohydrate 33.7 g
- fiber 6.6 g
- cholesterol 17 mg
- iron 4.4 mg
- sodium 830 mg
- calcium 81 mg
How to Make It
Sort and wash peas; set aside.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 3 minutes or until tender. Add sausage; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
Stir in broth; bring to a simmer, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in peas, salt, peppers, and bay leaves. Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until peas begin to soften. Uncover and cook 15 minutes or until liquid begins to thicken.
Stir in vinegar, tomatoes, and mustard greens; simmer 10 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.