- 1 (16-ounce) package dried black-eyed peas
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 (32-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 jalapeño peppers, unseeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
How to Make It
Bring peas and water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven; cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain and remove from Dutch oven.
Sauté onion and next 3 ingredients in hot oil in Dutch oven until tender. Add peas, 6 cups water, and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour or until peas are tender.