Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Notes: Up to 4 hours ahead, prepare vegetables and dressing, then cover and chill separately.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 107
- Calories from fat: 7.6%
- Protein: 5.5g
- Fat: 0.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 230mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 firm-ripe tomato (1/2 lb.)
- 1 cucumber (1/2 lb.)
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper (1/2 lb.)
- 1 can (15 oz.) black-eyed peas
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions (including tops)
- 1 cup lightly packed chopped fresh dill
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Red-leaf lettuce leaves, rinsed and crisped
- 1. Rinse, core, and cut tomato into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 2. Peel, seed, and cut cucumber into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 3. Stem, seed, and cut bell pepper into 1/2-inch squares.
- 4. Drain peas, then rinse and drain again and put into a large bowl. Add tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, onions, and dill.
- 5. Mix orange juice, wine vinegar, cumin, ground pepper, and garlic; add dressing to bowl.
- 6. Mix dressing with vegetables. Add salt to taste.
- 7. Line a platter with lettuce and spoon salad onto it.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note