the recipe stated to drain peas
Black-eyed Pea Cornbread Cakes With Jalapeño Sour Cream
Photo: Southern Living
More From Southern Living
Chill: 30 Minutes
- 2 (15-oz.) cans seasoned black-eyed peas, drained and divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled Super-Moist Cornbread
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Jalapeño Sour Cream
- Garnish: green onion curls
- Process 1 can black-eyed peas in a food processor or blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add chopped onion and bell pepper; sauté 7 minutes. Add minced garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir together pureed black-eyed peas, remaining can black-eyed peas, onion mixture, crumbled Super Moist Cornbread, mayonnaise, and egg until well blended.
- Shape black-eyed pea mixture into 12 (3-inch) patties. Dust lightly with cornmeal. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet; cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Cook, in batches, in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes on each side or until golden; drain on paper towels. Serve cakes immediately with Jalapeño Sour Cream. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Glory Foods Seasoned Southern Style Blackeye Peas.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Black-eyed Pea Cornbread Cakes With Jalapeño Sour Cream Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables