My family liked these cakes, so I'll keep them in my dinner arsenal. My son is allergic to dairy, so I made a chili-lime roasted red pepper sauce rather than the cream. Bean cake flavor is good, and the recipes is easy. Seems like the type of beans/seasonings could be swapped pretty easily, too. All in all, a good main dish for a vegetarian meal.
Black-Eyed Pea Cakes with Adobo Cream
Serve with rice dusted with salt-free Creole seasoning and a simple tomato salad dressed with vinaigrette.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 173
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 10.2g
- Carbohydrate: 19.3g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 59mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 462mg
- Calcium: 118mg
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1 (15.8-ounce) can no-salt-added black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup (about 1 ounce) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. Combine sour cream and adobo sauce in a small bowl.
- 2. Place beans in a medium bowl; partially mash beans with a fork. Stir in breadcrumbs and next 7 ingredients (through egg white). With floured hands, divide pea mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- 3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden and thoroughly heated. Remove from pan; top each cake with 1 tablespoon cheese. Serve with sour cream mixture.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes