Very messy to make, but crisp and tasty right out of the pan!
Black-Eyed Pea Cakes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 1 (8-ounce) container chive-and-onion-flavored cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 (8-ounce) package hush puppy mix with onion
- Olive oil
- Toppings: sour cream and green tomato relish
- Sauté onion in 1 tablespoon hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until tender.
- Process onion, 1 can of peas, and next 4 ingredients in a blender or food processor until mixture is smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Stir in hush puppy mix, and gently fold in remaining can of peas.
- Shape mixture by 2 tablespoonfuls into 3-inch patties, and place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Cook patties, in batches, in 3 tablespoons hot oil, adding oil as needed, in a large skillet over medium heat for 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until patties are golden brown. Drain patties on paper towels, and keep them warm. Serve with desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This