Fabulous recipe - and so light! We grilled the shrimp and scallops for more flavor and served over fresh butter lettuce from the garden.
Black-Eyed Pea-and-Seafood Salad
Photo: Howard L. Puckett; Styling: Cindy Manning Barr
Unlike the canned version, fresh black-eyed peas are crunchy and packed with flavor. You can also substitute crowder, purple-hull, or pink-eye peas, or any other small, beanlike peas.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 333
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 38.2g
- Carbohydrate: 31.1g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 154mg
- Iron: 5.1mg
- Sodium: 733mg
- Calcium: 171mg
- 3 bacon slices
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups fresh or frozen black-eyed peas, cooked
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled pepperoncini peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Spicy Seasoning
- 1 pound medium deveined peeled shrimp
- 1/2 pound sea scallops
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 cups thinly sliced mustard greens or romaine lettuce
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet; crumble and set aside. Add celery, bell peppers, and onions to bacon fat in skillet, and sauté 1 minute; set aside.
- Combine orange juice, lime juice, mustard, red pepper, and garlic in a large bowl; stir well. Add celery mixture, peas, tomato, and pickled peppers; toss well. Cover and chill.
- Sprinkle Spicy Seasoning over the shrimp and scallops. Heat oil in skillet over high heat. Add seafood, and sauté 3 minutes. Spoon seafood into a bowl; cover and chill.
- Place 2 cups greens in each of 4 salad bowls, and top with 1 cup pea mixture. Arrange one-fourth of seafood over each salad, and sprinkle each with 1 1/2 teaspoons bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This