My family prefers all chocolate usually but surprisingly they loved this. This type of crust was not available in my area so I purchased a shortbread crust...lightly sprinkled it with ginger, cinnamon & a little nutmeg then brushed it with a beaten egg & baked it for 5 min. (or until lightly browned & egg looks to be done). I had a slight problem with it being syrupy in the bottom of the pan the next day but it didn't hinder the taste or stop anyone from finishing it all off.
Black Bottom Vanilla Cream Pie
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 580
- Fat: 38g
- Saturated fat: 21g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 171mg
- Sodium: 269mg
- 9-inch baked gingersnap Cookie Crumb Crust
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Prepare crumb crust. Then combine first 6 ingredients in a medium saucepan, whisking well to blend. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly, for about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Place chopped chocolate in a small microwavable bowl. Microwave at medium power for 1 minute. Stir and repeat. Stir and cook the chocolate 30 seconds more if necessary, or until smooth.
- Remove 1 cup of custard from saucepan and stir into melted chocolate. Spread chocolate custard evenly in bottom of pie shell. Spoon remaining vanilla custard on top. Cover top of tart with a sheet of wax paper to prevent skin from forming. Chill vanilla cream pie at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To serve, whip cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff. Spoon or decoratively pipe whipped cream on top of tart.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts