Black-Bottom Ice Cream Torte with Warm Chocolate Sauce
Divvy the labor: Adults mix batter for crust and bake; make chocolate sauce. Kids help layer softened ice cream and sherbet into pan; sprinkle minichips on top.
Yield: serves 16 (serving size: 1 wedge and 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 262
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 108mg
- Calcium: 110mg
- 1/2 cup finely crushed chocolate wafers (about 12 wafers)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon egg white, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 6 cups vanilla reduced-fat ice cream (such as Healthy Choice), divided
- 3 cups raspberry sherbet or sorbet
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate minichips
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, grated
- 1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1/4 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Raspberries (optional)
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust, combine crushed wafers, 1 tablespoon sugar, and egg white in a bowl; toss with a fork until moist. Press into bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- Spoon 3 cups ice cream into cooled crust, spreading evenly. Cover with plastic wrap; freeze until firm. Repeat process with sherbet; freeze again until firm. Spread remaining 3 cups ice cream over sherbet; sprinkle with minichips. Freeze overnight or until firm.
- To prepare sauce, combine water, 1 cup sugar, and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; reduce to low and simmer until slightly thick (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in grated chocolate and cocoa; whisk until smooth. Stir in evaporated milk and vanilla.
- Make sure torte is thoroughly frozen before slicing. Spoon about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce over each slice of torte. Top with raspberries and mint sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This