- 1 1/2 (3-ounce) dark chocolate bars, melted (we tested with Ghirardelli; see Note below)
- 1 baked 9
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 (3-ounce) dark chocolate bar, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Garnish: chocolate shavings
How to Make It
Pour melted chocolate into bottom of baked pastry shell, spreading evenly. Chill until chocolate hardens.
Combine 2/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt in a heavy saucepan; stir well. Stir together egg yolks, milk, and half-and-half; gradually stir into sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in butter, chopped chocolate, vanilla, and, if desired, bourbon.
Pour filling into a bowl; place plastic wrap directly over surface of filling, and cool 30 minutes. Pour filling into pastry shell; cover tightly with plastic wrap, and chill at least 6 hours.
Beat whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream over pie. Chill. Garnish, if desired.
Note: Find dark chocolate bars on the candy aisle at your local grocery store. Other types of chocolate used in this chapter can be found on the baking aisle.