This turned out great. It was time consuming but well worth it. I don't know how to make chocolate curls so I used a veg peeler that created chocolate dust to sprinkle on top. I used real whipped cream because that's what I had on hand. I wasn't going to make the chocolate bottom but am glad I did because I think that's what made it really good. I never make pies so this was a good start. I discovered some awesome, organic pie crusts at my local store. They're Wholly Wholesome brand. I usually make everything from scratch unless premade is just as good. Now that I found these, I will never make a crust from scratch.
Black Bottom Banana-Cream Pie
Make the ultimate cream pie by adding a chocolate layer to a creamy banana pie filling and topping with chocolate curls.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 315
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10.1g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 6.9g
- Carbohydrate: 49.6g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 253mg
- Calcium: 94mg
- 1 (9-inch) Pastry Crust
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- Dash of salt
- 1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon stick margarine or butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sliced ripe banana (about 2 large bananas)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- Chocolate curls (optional)
- Prepare and bake Pastry Crust in a 9-inch pie plate. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 tablespoons sugar, cocoa, and dash of salt in a small, heavy saucepan; gradually add 1/3 cup milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook 2 minutes over medium-low heat. Stir in chocolate; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Spread chocolate mixture into bottom of prepared crust.
- Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, eggs, 1 cup milk, and margarine in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook 30 seconds or until thick. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Beat cream cheese until light (about 30 seconds). Add 1/4 cup hot custard to cream cheese, and beat just until blended. Stir in remaining custard.
- Arrange banana slices on top of chocolate layer; spoon custard over bananas. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard; chill 4 hours. Remove plastic wrap. Spread whipped topping evenly over custard. Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired. Chill until ready to serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts