This was so yummy! I used a red bell pepper instead of green, because that's what I had on hand. In addition to the cilantro, I garnished with diced purple onion and avocado. I will make this again soon!
Black Beans and Yellow Rice
Go meat-free with a hearty dinner of seasoned black beans over rice and use on-hand ingredients like boil-in-bag rice and canned beans.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 11.8g
- Carbohydrate: 70.1g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 646mg
- Calories from fat: 11%
- Fiber: 7.6g
- Calcium: 92mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups bottled chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (3.5-ounce) bags boil-in-bag long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in beans and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- . While black bean mixture cooks, cook rice according to package directions, adding turmeric to cooking water and omitting salt and fat. Drain rice.
- . Spoon rice evenly onto serving plates, and top with black bean mixture. Serve with sour cream, and, if desired, garnish with cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note