My whole family loved this dish. I cooked dried beans and used them instead of canned. Topped with cilantro and tomatoes. Very good!
Black Beans and Rice
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Lydia Pursell
More From Southern Living
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 (15-oz.) cans black beans, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (14-oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Salt to taste
- Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, sliced radishes, chopped tomatoes, chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onions, sliced jalapeño peppers
- 1. Prepare rice according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, drain and rinse 2 cans black beans. (Do not drain remaining can of black beans.)
- 3. Sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in drained and undrained beans, chicken broth, tomato paste, cumin, and dried crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Add salt to taste. Serve with hot cooked rice and desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes