- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 (15-oz.) cans black beans, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (14-oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Salt to taste
- Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, sliced radishes, chopped tomatoes, chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onions, sliced jalapeño peppers
How to Make It
Prepare rice according to package directions.
Meanwhile, drain and rinse 2 cans black beans. (Do not drain remaining can of black beans.)
Sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in drained and undrained beans, chicken broth, tomato paste, cumin, and dried crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Add salt to taste. Serve with hot cooked rice and desired toppings.