Black Bean Veggie Chili
Community Recipe from
- 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
- 1 onion Minced
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh garlic Minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 2 1/2 teaspoon(s) cayenne powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoon(s) paprika
- 1 tablespoon(s) dried oregano
- 2 1/2 ground cumin
- 4 green chilies roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 cup(s) canned tomatoes chopped
- 4 1/2 cup(s) tomatoe juice
- 1 1/2 pound(s) black beans (3-4 cans of any beans)
- 1/8 cup(s) Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) Monterey Jack Cheese Grated
- 1/2 cup(s) sour cream
- Black Bean Chile (serves 8)
- Santa Fe Light and Spicy Recipes
- In a large stockpot place the olive oil and heat it on medium high until it is hot. Add the onions and sauté them for 6 to 8 minutes, or until they are translucent.
- Add the garlic, red chile powder, coriander, cayenne pepper, paprika, dried oregano and cumin. Stir the ingredients together.
- Add the green chile peppers, tomatoes, tomato juice, and molasses. Stir the ingredients together. Cover the pot and bring the liquid to a simmer.
- In a food processor place 1/3 of the cooked black beans and a small amount of the reserved cooking liquid. Puree the ingredients so that a smooth thick liquid is formed (add the cooking liquid as needed). (You could also use a potato masher, like I do for potato leek soup.)
- To the stockpot add the pureed beans, the rest of the cooked beans, the cilantro and the salt. Stir the ingredients together. Simmer the soup for 10 minutes, or until everything is hot.
- In the bottom of each of the 8 individual bowls place the Monterey Jack cheese. Pour the soup on top. Garnish the dish with a dollop of sour cream.
- Mom’s Notes:
- You could add rough-cut bell peppers to the onions while they are cooking.
- You can always add more canned tomatoes.
- I like to add a half a bag of frozen corn the last 10-15 minutes of cooking. Corn adds a little sweetness and a different texture. Bake doesn’t like it, however,
- I’ve also been known to add 1 or 2 minced carrots to add texture and sweetness.
- Black Beans
- • 2 cups black beans, washed and cleaned
- • 6 cups water (or as needed)
- • 1 medium onion, chopped
- • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- • 2 tablespoons salt
- In a medium large stockpot place all of the ingredients. Bring them to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer the beans for 2 to 3 hours or until they are very tender (add more water as needed and skim the foam off the top).
This recipe is a personal recipe added by sarajaneblair and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes