Black Bean Soup with Sweet Potatoes
The sweet potatoes in this soup contrast nicely with the tang of the yogurt and the tartness of the lime. Aniseed lends an unusual hint of licorice flavor.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions coarsely chopped
- 3 med. garlic cloves
- 1-1/2 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) aniseed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 quart(s) lower fat chicken or vegetable broth rinsed and drained
- 15 1/2 ounce(s) can black beans peeled & cut into med. dice
- 2 med. sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup(s) plain yogurt paper thin sliced
- 8 lime
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 8 paper-thin lime slices
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a 6-quart (or larger) Dutch oven. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften and brown slightly, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, aniseed, and 1/4 tsp. pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broth, beans, sweet potatoes, and 3/4 tsp. salt and bring to a boil over high heat; skim any foam as necessary. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, set aside 3 cups of the beans and potatoes. Puree the remaining soup in batches in a blender. Return the solids to the soup and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve topped with a dollop of the yogurt and a lime slice.
- You can store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- nutrition information (per serving):
- Calories (kcal): 310; Fat (g): 6; Fat Calories (kcal): 50; Saturated Fat (g): 1; Protein (g): 17; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 2.5; Carbohydrates (g): 51; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 2; Sodium (mg): 370; Cholesterol (mg): 0; Fiber (g): 11;
- photo: Scott Phillips
This recipe is a personal recipe added by raclayton and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Black Bean Soup with Sweet Potatoes Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews