I love the hot soup with the cold fruit; wonderful.
Black Bean Soup with Avocado, Orange, and Cucumber
We left the soup chunky with a clear broth, but you could easily purée it to create a smooth soup. Just don't skip the avocado mixture, as it makes a refreshing contrast to the beans and spice.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 336
- Calories from fat: 45%
- Protein: 9.7g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 12g
- Sodium: 1350mg
- Cholesterol: 7.5mg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed
- 2 jars (4 oz. each) pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, such as Tapatío
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 orange, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add broth, beans, pimientos, seasonings, and hot sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- 2. Mix avocado, lime juice, orange, and cucumber in a medium bowl. Divide soup among bowls; top with avocado mixture and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note