I made a lot of changes, but it turned out amazing. First, I used 2 cans of drained beans instead of dry beans. I then reduced the cooking time from 1 hour to 20 minutes. I skipped the crema and just added the cilantro and jalapeno into the blender. Then I served with shredded cheddar cheese on top. Delicious, will definitely make again.
Black Bean Soup
This economical soup starts with a bag of dried black beans that are simmered in a mixture of tomato paste, garlic and onion. After the beans are cooked, blend the mixture to make it creamy. Top with crema Mexicana, chopped egg and cilantro.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 369
- Fat: 18.4g
- Saturated fat: 5.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 17.5g
- Carbohydrate: 34.7g
- Fiber: 11.8g
- Cholesterol: 173mg
- Iron: 4.8mg
- Sodium: 829mg
- Calcium: 114mg
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 7 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded
- 1/4 cup crema Mexicana
- 3 hard-cooked large eggs, peeled and finely chopped
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- 1. Sort and wash beans, and place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water; cover and let stand for 8 hours. Drain beans.
- 2. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes, stirring often. Add 5 garlic cloves; cook 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Add beans, broth, and next 7 ingredients (through chiles); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 3. Place half of bean mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid; secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid. Process until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining mixture. Return soup to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 4. Finely chop 1 cup cilantro and jalapeño. Combine 2 tablespoons oil, 2 garlic cloves, cilantro, jalapeño, and crema. Ladle 1 1/4 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; top each with 2 tablespoons crema. Sprinkle soup with eggs. Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note