I make this using all chicken stock, rather than the water and vegetable broth, and I puree the whole soup - with the cilantro - when it's finished. Then I stir in the lime at the end. When I do this, the soup comes out creamy, thick, and flavorful. We add the sour cream dolloped on top at the end, and my whole family loves it. Actually, my family adds the sour cream, but I add plain yogurt because I like the slightly sour taste it adds. I feel it complements the lime well. I serve it with warmed corn tortillas or corn bread and a salad. Very easy, and the house smells great when I come home to it.
Black Bean Soup
Cumin and fiery serrano chile infuse this simple soup as it cooks, and a dollop of sour cream provides a refreshing foil for the spicy flavors. For less heat, seed the chile first or use a milder pepper, such as jalapeño. You can also omit the chile altogether, if you prefer.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 286
- Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 51.1g
- Fiber: 17.1g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 697mg
- Calcium: 82mg
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 serrano chile, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- 1. Sort and wash beans; place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain.
- 2. Combine beans, broth, and next 5 ingredients (through chile) in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 10 hours. Discard bay leaves. Stir in juice and salt. Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each with 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro. Top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons sour cream. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
This recipe has been retested for Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight, 2012
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note