This soup is GREAT. Easy, yummy and healthy!
Black Bean Soup
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Soak: 8 Hours
- 1 (16-ounce) package dried black beans
- 3 quarts water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/4 small green bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish: minced onion
- Wash beans, and remove any foreign particles and debris.
- Soak beans in water to cover in a 6-quart stockpot 8 hours. Rinse and drain beans.
- Bring beans, 3 quarts water, and bouillon to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 3 hours. Do not drain.
- Process 1/2 small onion and bell pepper in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Sauté garlic in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 1 minute. Add onion mixture, and cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes.
- Stir onion-and-garlic mixture into beans. Add oregano and next 4 ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender and soup is thick. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews