Followed suggestions and doubled the dressing, but kept remaining ingredient portions as the author listed them. We personally found the dressing to be overpowering, especially salty and garlicy. Ended up cooking extra quinoa after the fact to bring those flavors under control. My suggestion would be to make the recipe as written and then decide if extra dressing is needed. After the additional quinoa was added (which brought it back to the original quinoa to dressing proportion), it was perfect!
Black Bean-Quinoa Salad with Basil-Lemon Dressing
Photo: Jan Smith
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 232
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 9.8g
- Carbohydrate: 35.1g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 722mg
- Calcium: 68mg
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 (14-ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 4 cups chopped tomato (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Combine quinoa and vegetable broth in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until broth is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat.
- Place tofu on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sauté tofu 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, basil, and next 6 ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until blended. Stir in quinoa.
- Cook lima beans according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Cool completely. Add the lima beans, tofu, chopped tomato, green onions, chopped carrot, and black beans to quinoa mixture; stir gently to combine. Store, covered, in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This