I have used this recipe for a base of many stir-frys and it has worked well every time. My kids LOVE this recipe.
Black Bean Pork and Zucchini
Many Chinese recipes rely on a robust sauce of crushed fermented black beans and garlic to add deep, savory flavor to meat, vegetable, and seafood dishes. Look for the sauce in jars on the Asian foods aisle of your supermarket.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 398
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 10.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 23.1g
- Carbohydrate: 48.1g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 654mg
- Calcium: 29mg
- 3/4 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing (Chinese rice wine), dry sherry, or sake
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing (Chinese rice wine), dry sherry, or sake
- 1 tablespoon black bean and garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Remaining ingredients:
- 1 pound zucchini
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 cups hot cooked short-grain rice
- 1. To prepare the pork, cut pork crosswise into 3-inch pieces. Cut each piece lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices; cut slices into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Combine pork, 1 tablespoon wine, soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon cornstarch; cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 2. To prepare sauce, combine 1/2 cup water and next 4 ingredients (through salt); set aside.
- 3. Cut zucchini crosswise into 2-inch pieces. Cut each piece lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices; cut slices into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- 4. Heat a 14-inch wok over high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil to wok, swirling to coat. Add zucchini and ginger to wok; stir-fry 1 minute or just until crisp-tender. Spoon into a bowl.
- 5. Add 2 teaspoons oil to wok, swirling to coat. Add half of pork mixture to wok; stir-fry 2 minutes or until browned. Add cooked pork mixture to zucchini mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and remaining pork mixture. Return zucchini mixture to wok. Stir sauce; add sauce to wok. Stir-fry 1 minute or until thickened. Spoon into a serving dish. Sprinkle with onions. Serve over rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note