This is a fabulous and healthy dip. Great with chips or carrots. I take it to parties frequently and am always complimented. And to top it all off it is super easy to make.
Black Bean Dip with Tortilla Chips
Howard Alt's addition of allspice to a fairly traditional Tex-Mex dip gives it a unique flavor. We've included homemade tortilla chips in the recipe, but you can also serve the dip with fresh vegetables.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 189
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Carbohydrate: 33.3g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 354mg
- Calcium: 65mg
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (about 1 bunch)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Chopped red bell pepper (optional)
- 6 (10-inch) flour tortillas, each cut into 8 wedges
- Cooking spray
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut the bell pepper in half lengthwise, discarding seeds and membranes. Place the bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet, and flatten with hand. Broil for 5 minutes or until blackened. Place the bell pepper in a zip-top plastic bag, and seal. Let stand for 5 minutes, and peel. Place the bell pepper and the next 12 ingredients (bell pepper through garlic) in a food processor, and process until smooth. Spoon into a bowl, and garnish with chopped bell pepper, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Arrange the tortilla wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until golden. Serve the dip with chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Black Bean Dip with Tortilla Chips Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Dips/Spreads, Hors d'Oeuvres
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic, Quick/Easy
- CUISINE: American, Southwest
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Beans
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Meatless, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor, Bake, Broil
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light