My family loves these chimis! I never add chicken, and it makes a delicious, cost-effective vegetarian meal. I also leave the salsa out of the filling because my small children find it too spicy. My husband and I just add salsa at the table. Delicious with sour cream and a fresh green salad. A fun main dish for a casual gathering.
Black Bean Chimichangas
More From Southern Living
Bake: 18 Minutes
- 1 (8.8-oz.) pouch ready-to-serve Mexican-style rice and pasta mix
- 2 cups drained Slow-cooker Black Beans*
- 1 cup chunky medium salsa
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Mexican four-cheese blend
- 2 cups shredded deli-roasted chicken (optional)
- 10 (8-inch) soft taco-size flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, olives
- 1. Heat rice according to package directions.
- 2. Stir together rice, next 3 ingredients, and, if desired, chicken. Spread 1/2 cup rice mixture just below center of each tortilla. Fold bottom third up and over filling of each tortilla, just until covered. Fold left and right sides of tortillas over, and roll up. Place, seam sides down, on a lightly greased jelly-roll pan. Brush tops of tortillas with melted butter.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with desired toppings.
- *1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained, may be substituted.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Rice-A-Roni Express Mexican. To make ahead, prepare chimichangas as directed through Step 2; cover and chill 8 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes; bake as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note