This sounded like a strange combination of ingredients to me, but it is really tasty and very filling. I think it's even better after being in the fridge for a day. You do need to 'serve warm' as the recipe says. It's not as good piping hot for some reason.
Black-Bean Chili With Winter Squash
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 39 minutes.
Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 226
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 699mg
- Calcium: 171mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium diced yellow bell pepper (1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped mild green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 medium winter squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in beans, broth, tomatoes, green chiles, chili powder, chipotle chile powder, and oregano. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Uncover and cook 10 more minutes.
- 2. Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out and discard seeds, pierce with a fork a few times, and put in a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 inch water. Cover with plastic wrap; microwave on HIGH 8 minutes or until tender. Let cool; peel with a small sharp knife, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks. Stir squash into bean mixture; cook 5 minutes. Stir in salt. Serve warm.
- Andrea's wine pick: The chiles, beans, and squash demand the earthy smokiness of a French red Rhone wine. Look for the magnificent 2004 vintage of La Vieille Ferme Côtes du Ventoux ($7.99).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews