I made the meat version of this with a pound of ground round. I also replaced one of the cans of black beans with a can of red kidney beans. It was a big success, with everyone getting at least 2 helpings. It was fast and easy. I served it with Fritos and the easy corn casserole by in cooking light that is also on this website.
Black Bean Chili
Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
- 3 (15-oz.) cans black beans
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 (12-oz.) package meatless burger crumbles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14-oz.) can low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans petite diced tomatoes with jalapeños
- Toppings: sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese, lime wedges, sliced jalapeño peppers, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped tomatoes, corn chips
- 1. Rinse and drain 2 cans black beans. (Do not drain third can.)
- 2. Sauté chopped onion and burger crumbles in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat 6 minutes. Stir in chili powder and next 3 ingredients; sauté 1 minute. Stir in drained and undrained beans, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Serve chili with desired toppings.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Boca Meatless Ground Burger for meatless burger crumbles.
- Meaty Black Bean Chili: Substitute 1 lb. ground round for meatless burger crumbles, sautéing ground round with onion 10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Omit vegetable oil. Proceed as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes